Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Close Up Show...

Every one I have heard from was disappointed with the Close Up Show.

A great deal of thought and work had gone into this production.

Unlike the last Magic Live Close Up Show where the audience moved from room to room in each of which there was a different set in order to present the different branches of close up magic (bar, restaurant, trade show etc) , this year the audience stayed put and the set changed for each act.

This change was brought about by a young group of enthusiastic magicians who had obviously rehearsed long and hard. At the end of each act they came on and, by folding and unfolding the rear wall of the set and adding or removing tables and lights ect, the appearance of the set changed. I have to confess that I found, in several instances, the scene changers and changes to be more engaging than the act that followed.

Be this as it may, the truth was that the changed set had, in all but one of the pieces, little relevance to the act that was in front of it.

Searching for some positives I should say that Chris Kenner fooled me (just as he announced he would) and I do have a soft spot for routines that involve puppets (although I had seen Thomas Frapps do this bit before).

PS. I was very disappointed when a far more knowledgeable magician than me explained the Kenner method... That's just not cricket!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home